25 Benefits of Lemons and Limes
1. Aids digestion Drink a cup of warm lemon or lime water before meals to activate hydrochloric acid (HCL) and enzyme activity, alleviate heartburn and constipation, and create an alkaline environment.
2. Lower the glycemic index of meals up to 30 percent: squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice onto fish, chicken, salad or veggies.
3. Alkalizes your system versus an acidic one.
4. Supportive and beneficial as a healthy and natural detox
5. Enhances mineral absorption preventing calcium-leaching from bones
6. Brain and nervous system health. Blend lime juice with your favorite grass-fed protein powder for a healthy cooler for the brain and nervous system.
7. Strong antibacterial (destroys bacteria in the mouth and gut), antiseptic and antiviral properties, natural antibiotic and immune-boosting powers
8. Natural breath freshener.
9. Clears up acne and rejuvenates the skin.
10. Contains pectin which helps lower cholesterol and reduce blood sugar
11. Excellent, all-natural cleanser: lemon juice, baking soda and water
12. Flavor enhancer used on fish, poultry, salads, grilled veggies, avocado, juicing
13. Full of bioflavonoid, antioxidant phytonutrients (Vitamin P)
14. Healthy hair: lemons and limes remove product buildup in hair. Use lemon or lime juice as a natural highlight enhancer.
15. Helps prevent heart disease
16. Enhances nutrient absorption
17. High nutrient value, full of antioxidants which help fight free-radical damage: vitamin B6, Vitamin C, iron and potassium and a very good source of dietary fiber. Lemons and limes also contain calcium, copper, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
18. Inhibits the growth of kidney stones and supports the kidneys
19. Lemon or lime mixed with warm water and olive oil help dissolve gallstones
20. Limonoids, the peeling of the lemons and limes contain disease-fighting compounds shown to induce cancer cell death particularly beneficial for protecting against cancers of the skin, breast, stomach, mouth, lung and colon. (Nutrition and Cancer, 2001).
21. Promotes immunity, reduces mucus and helps fight cold, flu and infections
22. Aids the liver in bile formation. Nourishes and stimulates liver’s enzymes, increasing your body’s ability to cleanse itself of toxins, which can aid in weight loss.
23. Oxygenates the body and maximizes enzyme function
24. Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma
25. Prevents calcium deposit build-up in the arteries
Copyright © Paula Owens. All rights reserved.
About the author:
Paula Owens, M.S., is the bestselling author of The Power of 4 and Fat Loss Revolution. Paula is one of the nation's leading experts on nutrition, functional health, fitness and fat loss. She consults with clients locally in her Phoenix office and throughout the world via telephone or Skype. Visit Paula at www.PaulaOwens.com